the search continues...

Monday, April 04, 2005

The party's (nearly) over

Not that I can really liken it to a party, in fact one outstanding aspect of this trip is my sleeping hours are now usually from 9pm to 6 or 7am -- hard to believe.

We're in Bobo Diaolasso which I still can't spell; nice place mais tro hassle. Current strategy is ignoring them. Occasionally it works. Crappy French ke"yboards are more difficult, however...

Oh and unbelievably we're so good at bargaining now we can even do it in French! After much hassle and difficulty I bought some fabric, then went to (or was taken to, you canĂ¹t do anything without a crowd here) a tailor, eventually was shown some pictures, eventually translated that it requires more fabric... this was after an hour or so... I could feel sweat pouring down my back... decided to give up. The print would,ve probably made me look like a giant bumblebee wrapped in a curtain anyway, although they do great tailoring here.

Other random observations about Burkina Faso _ there are table football games everywhere but strangely they calle them boulle; it has a lot more expats than in Benin; people say bonjour all day instead of switching to bonsoir in the afternoon like Benin; there is no particular word for white person, just the generic blanc.
posted by 8k, 2:42 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment